Theracell Advanced Biotechnology SA is a Greek biotechnology company. The company was established in 2013. In summary its areas of authority lies on:
1. Laboratory services in cell and tissue processing
2. R&D of new products & services in the fields of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Genetics, Biochemistry and Regenerative Medicine
3. Commercialization of biotechnological products, autologous or allogenic biological samples and medical devices
Theracell laboratory is certified by ISO and GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice).
Company’s mission is to provide innovative, safe, efficient, effective and affordable regenerative biotechnology products and cell therapies to medical community and consequently, patients.
Theracell has developed a unique technology platform which includes a novel, minimally invasive methodology for the collection of tissues and the subsequent isolation of stem cells, and an innovative methodology of rejuvenation and priming of the expanded stem cells prior of the application.
Technologies / Services offered or sought
Theracell has developed a series of autologous therapies in orthopaedics. These therapies are used for the biological regeneration of articular cartilage defects by means of the body’s own cells (stem cells or chondrocytes).
Cartil-S is an autologous injectable product that helps delay the progression of arthritis. It makes use of the patient’s own stem cells and their immunosuppressive properties. It is indicated for cartilage defects of degenerative origin.
Chondroseal is a Gel-Type Autologous Stem Cell Implantation (GTASCI). It is an innovative product, composed of cultured autologous Adipose-Derived Stem Cells, combined with a special natural gel that serves as a scaffold for local cartilage regeneration in the joint.
Dermatology / Plastic Surgery
Theracell has developed a series of autologous therapies in Dermatology & Plastic Surgery. These therapies are used for the prevention and treatment of skin ageing, the elimination of facial wrinkles
Technology and R&D
Theracell constantly works on innovative approaches for the restoration of the lost cellular function of tissues and organs, in order to successfully address unmet medical needs. An ambitious R&D program is currently running in collaboration with research departments of Universities and specialized medical clinics. Theracell has at preclinical stage novel therapies in the fields of nephrology and orthopaedics. Design and analysis of clinical studies required in each particular project fall under Theracell’s responsibility and expertise.
Currently, there are a number of projects under development in collaboration with academic institutions.
HyperionTM is a novel catheter based medical device for the selective delivery of cell based therapies for the treatment of Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD). Mesenchymal stem cells are being incorporate into a closed chamber delivering device, that after percutaneous transluminal selective catheterization, expose the patient’s blood to these cells nearby the kidney, allowing activation of the cells and secretion of pro-repair proteins and exosomes to be delivered directly to the renal artery and the Kidney. The device consists of a guiding catheter, an intraluminal access catheter, adapted and a micro-catheter delivering device with inflatable segment containing the stem cells.
• TC-DT-02151 is an injectable product which can enhance the action of injected ADSCs for the treatment of Osteoarthritis. It is composed of a cell growth medium and hyaluronic acid. The product in development is a biological treatment which will be used to delay the disease progression by creating the optimum environment within the cartilage which will enhance the action of injected stem cells
• TC-MD-12141 is a Biomimetic Nano hydroxyapatite –Biopolymers Scaffold which is combined with cells for bone tissue engineering
• TC-MD-10141 is an Electromagnet designed for guiding SPION labelled Stem Cells for effectively delivering targeted stem cell therapies. The product will be able to guide and maintain at the site of injury SPION labelled cells, with the ability to control both field and gradient and to adjust them in every body type, using a magnetic power which will be safe for human use. Potential applications of the device are in Spinal cord injury, Myocardial infarction, Coronary embolization, Retinal degeneration, Common carotid artery injury, Choroidal neovascularization, Kidney Disease, Parkinson, Alzheimer etc.
Clients & Collaborations (NATIONAL)
Medical School of the National University of Athens
Department of Nephrology
Department of Orthopaedics
Department of Dermatology
National Technical University of Athens
Group of Electronic & Magnetic Materials
Research Unit of Advanced, Composite, Nano-Materials & Nanotechnology School of Chemical Engineering
Technological Educational Institute of Epirus
Department of Computer Engineering
Hellenic Society of Regenerative Medicine and Biotechnology